Chemical Examiner's Lab Department
Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory caters to the needs of the judiciary in the prosecution of crimes. The Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory was established in 1890 in the Erstwhile Princely State of Travancore exclusively for the detection of crimes. The Chief Chemical Examiner to Government is the Head of the Department and Scientific Expert under section 293 of Criminal Procedure Code. The Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory is now functioning under the direct control of Government in the Home Department. The technical work of the laboratory is of confidential in nature and the Officers /Analysts are expected to maintain secrecy at every stage of analysis and are not expected to disclose the details of analysis to others. The officers are expected to maintain high degree of intellectual honesty and integrity.
Three laboratories are functioning under this Department. The Headquarters laboratory has jurisdiction over five southern districts namely Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Pathanamthitta, Kottayam and Alappuzha. The Regional Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory, Ernakulam has jurisdiction over central four districts namely Ernakulam, Idduki, Trissur and Palakkad districts. The five northern districts namely Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kannur, Wayanad and Kasaragod come under the jurisdiction of Regional Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory, Kozhikode.