Department of Agriculture Development and Farmer's Welfare
The history of the Department of agriculture in Kerala also depicts the agrarian history of the State. The Department of Agriculture was started functioning in the erstwhile Travancore on 27th May 1908. The Department in its present set up started functioning from 1987 for the overall development of agriculture in the State.
Attain self sufficiency in food production through enhanced agricultural productivity of agricultural commodities so as to make agriculture a sustainable and viable vocation providing livelihood support.
- Safeguard the interest of farmers, ensure food and nutritional security and support Kerala’s agricultural economy
- Achieve targeted growth rate for agriculture sector by successful implementation of various schemes.
- Protect farmers from risk through risk management cover and from unfair and deceptive
- business practices
- Set up investment in agriculture
- Ensure the safety of agricultural products by ensuring supply of quality agricultural inputs
- Conserve and protect the state’s agricultural and natural resources by promoting environmentally safe agricultural practices