kerala prisons and correctional services department
The history of the Jails in the Travancore part of the State begins in the year 1862 with three Principal Jails. 1873 Central Jail at Trivandrum was sanctioned and started functioning inside the fort in a building which was used as barracks for the Nayar Brigade. In September 1886 it was transferred and accommodated in the buildings put up for the purpose in Poojappura, Trivandrum. Besides Police Station lock-ups in the different parts of Travancore were also serving the purpose of Jails for confinement of prisoners whose sentences were below one month.
In 1949 when the state of Travancore-Cochin was formed there were two Central Jails at Trivandrum and Viyyur and 7 Sub Jails in the Cochin part of the State besides the police station lock-ups serving the purpose of Sub Jails in the Travancore part. Senior most of the Superintendent Central Prisons acts as the Ex-Officio Inspector General of Prisons till 31-03-1953.
First Central Prison was established at Kannur in the year 1869. First District Jail was established at Kozhikode in the year 1861. First Open Prison was established at Nettukaltheri, Trivandrum on 28th August 1962. First Women’s Prison was established at Neyyattinkara, Trivandrum in the year 1990. The first Inspector General was appointed on 01-04-1953 in order to be independent in the discharge of function as per the provisions in the Prisons Act for the purpose of the Act. The Prisons Headquarters/ Office of the Inspector General of Prisons were sanctioned with effect from 01-04-1953. Since 1986 officers from the Police Department are being appointed to act as Inspector General of Prisons. In September 1975 the Administrative control of Social Welfare Institutions and the Probation services was transferred to the Social Welfare Department.